Links

Monday, December 19, 2011

Week One, Seven miles.

I ran seven miles on the C&O Canal last Saturday. In the hope that I can make my runs a little more entertaining, I plan to start running in different sections of the trail as much as possible.  This time I parked at Point of Rocks and ran up-stream.  I only went seven miles this week but it seemed further for some reason.

There were a few sights to see along the way which was welcome.  The shutter speed on my phone's camera is pretty much crap, so trying to snap pictures without stopping doesn't work.  My old phone was a bit better at this.  Maybe I'll invest a few bucks in a cheap camera to carry with me.

I'm trying to get into the habit of stopping once in a while to take a picture or have a drink.  My reasoning behind this is that I want to get used to starting back up again after I stop.  I think this is important for two reasons.  First is that I plan to have FUN on this marathon.  I'm not out to set any records or to prove that I can run all 26.2 miles without a single break.  If I see something interesting I want to stop and take a picture of it, or high five a spectator or thank a volunteer, etc.  The other reason is more practical.  I'm a mouth breather. My sinuses are complete crap and there isn't anything I can do about it.  Consequently, I have a tough time drinking and running at the same time.  So when I hit the water/Gatorade  tables I plan to stop and drink and fill up my bottles so I can take little sips as I go.

Here are a few pictures from this run:

See the smile? This is fun, right?

The Potomac river is really beautiful. There are a few places where you can go down to the water's edge but I don't usually make time for that.  I'll try to work that in next week.

The C&O Railroad runs right next to the old tow path.  There is usually one or two trains headed down the track on Saturday mornings when I run. They are loud but it makes for a nice diversion.

This is one I tried to capture without stopping. It was much prettier in person!  I think I'm going to go back to this spot next weekend so I'll try and get a better shot then.

No comments: