Links

Sunday, January 29, 2012

C&O Canal 16 Miler

I don't have a lot to say about this run except that it was a lot harder than I expected it to be.

I parked my car at Lander Road, which is near Point of Rocks.  From there I walked down to the river, snapped the first two (outdoor) shots below and started off.  I ran to White's Ferry where I met Cindi and Samie.  We took the Ferry across the river into VA, and drove back.  I took a few pictures along the way.

I usually keep a pretty even pace on my long runs bu this time I had a hard time with that.  I don't really know why but every time I checked my watch I was either running too fast or too slow.

I just barely managed the full 16, by the time I got to mile 14 I was really wiped. The last two miles were really a struggle.  I think some of it may have been knowing that the girls had been sitting and waiting for me for a while, but I think mostly I was just tired.

This is the only long run distance that repeats, so next weekend I'll get a chance to try running 16 again.  I hope it goes better!

Pictures:

Bag is packed and ready.

The view upstream from the Lander Rd. boat launch.

Downstream

The green blur is another runner.  I actually passed someone! Of course it turned out that he was probably 20 years older than me.

Runner & Train

Train and trees


Approaching the bridge at Point of Rocks.


trail 

Noland's Ferry and my fingers.

Approaching the Mouth of the Monocacy Aqueduct

The Monocacy looked very muddy.

The Monocacy meets the Potomac. The towers on the left are the power plant in Dickenson.





This is just after the power plant. The canal is still full of water in this area.

There is a blue heron in this picture.  Since this is very close to where I saw the heron I took pictures of a few weeks ago, I assume this must be the same bird.

The heron flew off as I approached.  I gave chase with my camera and tried to get some in flight pictures.



No comments: