Links

Monday, September 24, 2012

Maryland Double

Hey!

I haven't updated in a while.  As I was typing that I thought, "I bet a lot of my blog entries start off with that same thought".  Oh well, I'm not going to change it now.

I'm preparing to run the half marathon (HM) at the Baltimore Running Festival on October 13th.  I'd like to say I'm excited for this race but I'm not.  I'm not running it with anyone (unless you include the 10,000 people I don't know) and Cindi has something going on that day so there won't be anyone at the finish line for me to high five.  Hugs are pretty much out of the question after running 13 miles because hugging a sweaty guy is really gross.

Up until pretty recently, running a HM was more exciting.  At first the distance itself was intimidating but I've done it so many times in training that I no longer worry about that.  The last HM I ran in Frederick was exciting because it was so close to home and I really wanted to break the 2 hour mark.  I ran it in 1:57:00 which I was thrilled with and then having Cindi and the kids meet me at the finish line was icing on the cake.

The course in Baltimore is much hillier than Frederick so I doubt I'll beat my PR.  Combine that with the long drive alone, parking hassles, etc and I'm less than excited.  So why am I running it at all?  For the medal of course.  Not just the Finishers Medal that everyone gets but I also qualify for getting a SPECIAL medal for completing the Maryland Double.  The Frederick Running Festival and the Baltimore Running Festival are both run by the same company and they have a nice little "extra" medal for anyone that finishes both races in the same calendar year.  So yeah, I paid $100 to drive all the way to Baltimore and run 13 miles through some pretty scary neighborhoods for a $1.49 piece of medal shaped like a crab.  Makes perfect sense now, doesn't it?

Last weekend I ran a 13.3 mile training run on the C&O Canal. I decided to hit a section of the trail I have never run on before. I ran from Brunswick to Harpers Ferry and back.  I took a few pics along the way.

Trail entrance in Brunswick.

Much of the time the river is hidden behind trees.  I came across a camp ground where the trees had been cleared.  The campers that were there were still sleeping in their tents when took a couple shots of the water.

As I passed Harpers Ferry, this train crossed the river. I had to stop and get a picture or two.

I was really in a much better mood than this picture indicates.

No comments: