Links

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Marathon Number Six - Week Four

Week four of training looks like this:

Sunday, Medium Long Run 14M
Monday, General aerobic + speed 8M w/ 10x100m strides
Tuesday, Recovery 5M
Wednesday, General aerobic 10M
Thursday, Rest or cross training
Friday, Recovery 4M
Saturday, Medium-long run 15M

Stats

Weight: 177

Health: Good overall. My right Piriformis is still sore but manageable

Training

Sunday - My training plan has me doing all my long runs on Saturday and taking Sunday as a rest day.  However, I really wanted to run with my friends Linda and Jesse this weekend as I haven't been able to run with them for several weeks now.  The only way that was going to work was for me to switch my long run to Sunday, so I did.  Linda organized an informal group run with our local running club (The Frederick Steeplechasers) so we got to enjoy the company of a few other runners which was a nice treat.  It's always good when you have a group to run and chat with to pass the time.  We met at the Frederick fairgrounds and planned to follow the Frederick Running Festival half marathon course.  The weather was cold and we even had an unexpected dusting of snow to surprise us!  We ended up having a group of six for the first 7(ish) miles and then five of us ran the whole thing.  Due to a little logistical error we ran long and wound up with 14.3 on the day. That was fine with me because I had 14 on my schedule anyway.  No one else complained too loudly.

All in all, it was a nice run with good company.   Afterward I went home and had pancakes and eggs. A great way to start a Sunday morning!

Monday - Because I had run long the day before, I decided to skip doing the strides at the end of this workout.  I just ran 8 at recovery pace and called it good.

Tuesday - I had a nice, relaxing 5 miler with a couple people at work.  There are a few groups that meet up to run together on campus. This group is organized by a guy named Chuck on the opposite end of campus from me and they typically run 3 or 4 miles at lunch.  Chuck is usually up to adding a mile or two when I want to go longer but I was able to get an early start and ran a little over a mile before I met up with them.

After work Cindi and I hit the fitness center at work.  Cindi used the eliptical machine and I did some upper body stuff and my PT exercises.  After that I stretched and used the foam roller.  Because of all that, I was pretty hungry and slipped up big time after dinner with a piece of chocolate mousse cheesecake.  This is why my weight won't budge.

Wednesday - I met up with Chuck and another guy, Dave at work to get in my 10 miler.  They weren't planning to run as long as I was but I thought having some company for at least part of the run would be nice.  We were joined a couple miles into the run by another runner, Kathryn.  I ended up having company for 8 of my 10 miles.

I set my Garmin for "other workout" so I could use it as a timer at the gym Tuesday night and forgot to switch it back.  I ran the first mile with it set like that and reset it when I met up with Chuck and Dave.  If you look at my log (links are over on the right side of the page) you'll see a 1 mile run and 9 mile run; that's why.

Sometimes I don't like running with other people.  I'm something of an introvert and carrying on a conversation with people I don't know very well can be stressful to me.  However, I have enjoyed my group runs a lot lately.  It's nice to hear other people's opinions on the world and the conversation is a nice distraction when you have a lot of miles to run.  I have run just about everywhere there is to run on campus and in the surrounding neighborhoods so the thrill of discovering a new route is non-existent at this point.  So when faced with the choice between running the same boring loops around campus alone or having some company along the way to help pass the time, I'm leaning more toward the latter.  Most of the people in the group run their easy pace a little slower than I do, so that's a bonus too.  We averaged 9:00 on this run, which is about 30 seconds slower than my usual pace. My legs felt great the next day.

Thursday - A rest day! Just in time for the cold front to move in with 30 MPH winds.  No running or cardio on the schedule.

Friday - Because the weather forecast for the weekend was pretty ugly, I decided to do my long run Friday.  I took the day off of work and ran 15 miles through my neighborhood.  The starting temperature was 18 degrees and it didn't warm up much from there.

The development I live in isn't that big and most of the roads leading in and out are too dangerous to run on. That makes long runs close to home very dull, with lots of running up and down cul-de-sacs.  I wrote on Facebook afterward that the best thing I could say about that run was it was over and that about sums it up.

Saturday - Cookie making and drinking. Enough said.  I ate and drank too much but I don't regret it at all!

No comments: